Friday, January 30, 2009

Don Weitz' Statement of Claim Against CKLN Radio Inc.

Statement of Claim Against CKLN Radio:


Mike Phillips, former Station Manager

Tony Barnes, Program Director



Name: Don Weiitz

Address: 1401-38 Orchard View Blvd., Toronto,ON M4R 2G3



Draft Statement:

I, Don Weitz, am lodging this complaint of wrongful and unjust dismissal against CKLN Radio (88.1FM) in Toronto .

This claim is specifically directed at two (2) members of CKLN Management: former Station Manager Mike Phillips, and Program Director Tony Barnes. For approximately twelve (12) years, I have been a volunteer programmer at CKLN.

Specifically, I have been host and producer of the program "Antipsychiatry Radio", in 1994 it was originally titled "Shrinkrap”.

On May 5, 2008, I received the following letter from Mike Phillips that stated in full: "Please be advised that your volunteer services at CKLN Radio Inc are no loner required effective immediately." This letter is signed "Mike Phillips, Station Manager".

In that May 5 letter, there was no reason or explanation given for my dismissal; I also have never received any advance notice or warning of my dismissal, and never received any criticism of my Antipsychiatry program. Approximately two (2) weeks later, I and many other volunteer programers, was physically locked out, barred from the CKLN studio - again without advance notice, warning or explanation. In addition, my CKLN entry card was electronically deactivated - without warning, advance notice or explanation. As host and producer, Antipsychiatry Radio featured informed opinion, commentary and criticism of the psychiatric system and community-based alternatives in Canada. The program content frequently featured exclusive interviews and dissident commentaries with psychiatric survivors and antipsychiatry activists, as well as nationally-respected academics, feminists, and mental health lawyers. To the best of my knowledge, "Antipsychiatry Radio" was unique and empowering. It was unique because there was and still is no similar antipsychiatry program produced by psychiatric survivors in Ontario or Canada;. It was empowering because it reached out to and provided a powerful voice for psychiatric survivors - some of the most marginalized, discriminated against, stigmatized and oppressed citizens in Canada.

In dismissing me, the CKLN Management seriously violated my human rights and Charter rights - specifically my right to freedom of opinion and expression, and my right to “security of the person.” At the same time, CKLN Management also seriously deprived many listeners of CKLN Radio valuable opportunities for receiving critical information and informed opinion on the "mental health system", its many abuses, “mad culture”, and several alternatives. In effect, CKLN Management has silenced a powerful and empowering voice for psychiatric survivors, antipsychiatry activists, and social justice advocates in Canada; it has done so in a callous, insensitive, irresponsible, and undemocratic manner.

Further, in dismissing me and eliminating my program, CKLN Management has directly and seriously violated parts of its Mandate or Mission Statement. For example, CKLN Management has violated this major statement in its Mandate: "Provide Toronto's diverse and rapidly changing audience with the opportunity to hear a wide range of differing cultural expressions and thereby encourage communication, solidarity and cooperation between and among oppressed communities and constituencies." The program's constituencies included psychiatric survivors, “mental health consumers”, antipsychiatry activists, and social justice advocates.

As an elderly citizen with a chronic heart condition, this dismissal has caused me considerable anxiety and stress. I have absolutely no doubt that I have been dealt with unjustly and request justice. I request reinstatement as host and producer of ”Antipsychiatry Radio” at CKLN Radio, and adequate financial compensation in the amount of ten thousand dollars ($10,000).

2 comments:

Liam Walshe said...

My oh my...it seems those trick cyclists are influencing everything these days...

Unknown said...

"DON IS THE BEST AND ONLY REAL VOICE ON THIS TRAGEDY IN OUR CULTURE , WONDER WHY SO MANY ARE THREATENED BY ONE LITTLE OLD WISE MAN! $10.000 IS NOTHING, WE ALL OWE HIM MUCH MORE! $$ COULD NEVER REPAY SUCH A WISE MAN AND AS HUMBLE AS HE, WONDER WHAT DR. ABRAHAM HOFFER WOULD HAVE SAID ABOUT TRYING TO SILENCE SUCH WISDOM! THANK YOU MY DEAR COMRADE FOR NEVER GIVING UP . ,IRENE CARLSON BC.